Friday, March 22, 2013

Verbal diarrhoea

Bath time in the O'Connor household and I hear an excited exclamation coming from the watery depths...

'Mummy, quick, come here! I can talk underwater!'

Whilst not a particularly unknown phenomena with four year olds, an apparent discovery on her behalf, nonetheless.

And sure enough, following a somewhat waterlogged if not articulate demonstration, she can indeed talk underwater.

It made me think of other potential talents that she may have hidden away...talking under wet cement or perhaps talking the hind legs off a donkey. Neither of which I would recommend as something you should try at home.

The use of these colloquial expressions reminds me of her latest phrase that she has adopted: her penchant for describing her rear end as 'clean as a whistle'. I mean, what's a whistle got to do with it and why is it noted for its particular level of purity? 


Don't get me wrong, the ability to wipe one's rear effectively is a required life skill and one of which to be enormously proud. However, likening it to a small object complete with hole that makes a loud annoying sound could indeed draw its own parallels!






2 comments:

  1. And don't get me started on 'talk with a mouth full of marbles'.......way too dangerous, especially for a 4 year old.
    'Clean as a whistle' sounds just fine though. At least you don't have to wipe it any more!
    As a parent you just have to learn to count your blessings. And I'd like to count your little girl as one of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True enough, Valda, there is that! She is a delight (most of the time) and lots of fun. We certainly count our blessings, and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete